Saturday, December 30, 2017

CHERRY CHIA SEED JAM

For some time I have been meaning to make Raspberry Chia Seed Jam with frozen raspberries but I never got around to it.

We bought two boxes of cherries for Chrismas and were then given another box so, yesterday, I decided to make Cherry Chia Seed Jam.  I cut the cherries in quarters removing the stones and then brought them to a boil (gently until the juices flowed)  I added a tablespoon of honey then added a tablespoon of chia seeds and turned the element off.

So easy and what I ended up with was delicious jam.  O.K. so it won't keep but it won't have a chance anyway and it is so easy to make I will now make regular small batches with blueberries, blackberries or raspberries from the freezer  (and possibly some more from cherries while they are still in season).

This morning I had some on toast with avocado and cottage cheese.  Delicious.



Mind you, I could easily eat it straight off the spoon and it would  be great with vanilla ice cream.

8 comments:

  1. So the chia acts as a setting agent? Clever! I have never heard of this, but it is logical, isn't it. I must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was talking to my stepdaughter this morning she mentioned that she uses chia as a thickening agent in stews. The jam was delicious and not too sweet..

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY old thing. Don't they come around quickly!

    I made 'Tayberry and Strawberry' jam this Summer. I'm pleased to say that it's nearly all gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but not so much of the "old thing" !!!!! It would be well worth trying the Tayberries and Strawberries with chia seeds as you don't need any sugar - just enough honey to sweeten to taste and I, and I presume you, do not need much not being used to sweet foods.

      Delete
    2. No idea what 'chia seeds' are. I shall have to investigate.

      Delete
    3. I use them a lot - have them in my morning porridge among other things.

      Delete
  3. oh I love cherries, such a pity they are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they come down in price this is well worth trying.

      Delete