Sunday, July 28, 2013

Te Matau a Pohe

Te Matau a Pohe is Whangarei's  new bridge which was opened yesterday.  It was a cloudy day but fine.

This first photo of the bridge was taken from the "Wave and Waka" sculpture when we had friends visiting recently.


 There was a good crowd at the opening.



 A microlight plane? flying around prior to the proceedings.
 The bridge is raised ready for the opening and flotilla

I hadn't realised we were positioned close to the opening ceremony.  It is going on in the centre of the road.  I heard it but could not see what was going on.



The bridge fully lifted ready for the boats to pass under.
 First there were three waka or Maori canoes. From where we were positioned I got photos of the boats after they had passed under the bridge.


 Then all sorts of craft

 I loved this old boat with the occupants in period dress.


 A hen in a basket floating with the boats.








The bridge was then lowered once again ready for the parade of vehicles.  


8 comments:

  1. You got some great photos Susan! I considered going but knew there'd be a big crowd so decided I'll just have to have my own opening ceremony another day LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will drive over it today as we are going to Onerahi. Will post photos of the vehicle parade later.

      Delete
  2. The "Wave and Waka" sculpture resembles the pre-history dolmens that I saw recently in France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who cut the string; Prince George?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just our local M.P. I thought the ceremony was going to be off the bridge and when I heard someone say "I declare this bridge open" I thought it was someone fooling around then realised it was the official opening just a couple of metres away.

      Delete
  4. Very nice sculpture - and photographs of boats on the water are always going to get my attention. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete