Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gluten Free Apple Crumble

Recently several bloggers have been talking about apple crumble.  With the inclement weather we are having my mouth was watering at the thought.

I googled "Gluten Free Apple Crumble" and then decided to adapt my "normal" recipe.

I rubbed 64g. of butter into 1/4 cup GF flour
                                          1/8 cup almond meal
                                          1/8 cup quinoa flakes
                                           & a pinch of salt

I then added                        1/2 cup oats
                                            1/4 cup raw sugar (the recipe says 1/2 cup but I prefer less sugar) and rubbed that in

I sliced three braeburn apples and sprinkled them with some frozen blueberries that needed using up and just under a cup of water.

I then sprinkled the topping on and cooked at 180 degrees C until it looked ready.

It was DELICIOUS, in fact I think it was better than the regular one.  I dished up a reasonable serve but then went back for seconds - well there is just me to eat it.


7 comments:

  1. Someone recently suggested that Rhubarb and Apple Crumble is good too. I don't know how Lady M makes her crumble, but she never puts enough on the top. I like it quite thick; I shall have to have words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a slightly larger dish than usual and could have done with some more crumble but then that is the part with the sugar, although I do cut the quantity down. I must get some rhubarb but the blueberries added made it delicious.

      Delete
  2. Rhubarb and apple is good, rhubarb and blueberry is even better, and blueberries are so good for you which is a bonus. I like a good thick topping too, shame that it's the topping that has most of the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks totally awesome, thank you for sharing. I did up an apple and cherry pie for my hubby last year, he loved it! Rhubarb/Strawberry are my favs. I am certain my Grandboys would love this with a scoop of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so good I ate over half of it yesterday. I think it was even better cold. Looks like I will have to make another. I am finally up to 55 kg but should be putting it on in leaps and bounds at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks good. We're wheat and cow free at present,so are ok with oats but that mix certainly is worth a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness my all time favourite pud!! I always think that adding some oats to the crumble mix makes a perfect crumble taste so wholesome. :)

    ReplyDelete